I officially have a new song to have on infinite loop – The Beach Boys, my favourite band of all time, have released the first single of their 50th anniversary reunion – That’s Why God Made The Radio.
It’s phenomenal to hear the living members together again harmonising over the microphones. The blend is still there, the magic is still there.
The first time you hear it, you may think to yourself, “this is pretty mild. Nothing too special about it.” Then you listen again. And again. And again. And pretty soon you find yourself lost in a sea of harmonies and humming along to the different parts. The soaring vocals in classic Brian Wilson-style provide a gentle cover for the song while Mike’s understated smooth bass vocals lend a track an earthy feel to give the track some grounding.
Alan Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks round off the track perfectly. The ending, particularly from 2:22 to 2:35, brings to mind memories of similar vocal masterpieces from tracks like God Only Knows and Good Vibrations. A brilliant way to end the track and to repair their reputation as America’s foremost vocal band of all time.
Wonderful. Simply won- won- won- wonderful.
- Beach Boys unveil new single ‘That’s Why God Made the Radio’ – listen (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Beach Boys go retro on first new single in 20 years (canada.com)
- The Beach Boys Launch New Single and Announce New Album Details: ‘That’s Why God Made The Radio’ to be Released June 5 by Capitol/EMI (sys-con.com)
- The Beach Boys – “That’s Why God Made the Radio” / So Cheesy, but So Good (dbradmusic.wordpress.com)
- Beach Boy Al Jardine Talks 50th Anniversary Reunion Tour (wncx.radio.com)