Day twelve of my temporary PC-less existence (Am PC-less no more!)

Today, I finally received my warranty replacement for my busted Antec Truepower 650w modular PSU. Sadly, since that was discontinued, I had to be given a different PSU as a replacement. Scan said it was a direct replacement but it’s only partly so since my previous PSU was modular but this wasn’t.

Well, beggars can’t be choosers and from what I managed to dig up on this particular PSU on Google, it’s a pretty good and reliable one. And on the brighter side, I’ve now got a Cooler Master PSU to match with my Cooler Master Elite 330 case (Not that it’s important to do so though…).

The only problem? I received the PSU on the same day as a football day… which meant that along with my regular football stuff, I had to lug this heavy PSU to footy, and back home. Not great for my shoulders…

Putting the pieces back together again
Now that I had received the PSU, it was time to fit my PC back together again – now I was finally successful since I’m typing out this blog post via my PC, but it did take awhile since I had only fitted in a PSU once before when I built my PC. After I was done, I looked at the clock – it took me just over two hours to fit in my new PSU and connect all the wires properly again.

Mistake #1:
I plugged in the power cable to the CPU power source the wrong way. So I spent nearly an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. For a brief moment too I thought that I had been handed a dud PSU coz when I tried turning on the PC to test the PSU, nothing happened. Well, nothing apart from one of my four motherboard LEDs blinking once for the briefest of moments.

Checking online to see whether other people had a similar problem, I found that the common problem was a dead PSU. So, trying to keep calm, I read through the manual again, slowly this time. It dawned on me that I needed to plug the power cable in a specific direction (that was obviously different from how I was plugging it in before…). Once I had that twigged, I tried the power switch again and this time, my PC roared to life. Which was right when Mistake #2 happened.

Mistake #2:
My PC fired up to life – momentarily. Even though the fans spun, my PC beeped a strange series of beeps and I didn’t hear my HDD activate. So I plugged in my monitors to try to find out what error message would pop up. Nothing. Nada. My monitor wasn’t receiving nothing from my PC. Figuring this should be a graphic card issue I looked around from the original box to grab the manual from and started reading.

The quick installation guide soon sorted me out – I had mistakenly only plugged in one PCI-e Connector to my XFX HD4890. I needed two connectors to it. So, plugging in both PCI-e Connectors to the graphics card, I crossed my fingers, and fired up my PC again.

This time, my PC roared to life in a more sedate manner, and pretty soon I had Windows 7 loading up and the joyous sight of my desktop soon greeted me (yeah, kinda lame…).

So, yeah, I’ve got my PC back again 😉

This certainly makes the missus happy as she’s been struggling for awhile with the hundreds upon hundreds of photos she wanted to upload and edit. There’s no way we could use the iPad or the tiny underpowered Fujitsu Lifebook U1010 to do this so all she could do was wait for the PSU to return and wait for me to set up my PC once again.

Happy days 😉

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s